Harbhajan Singh’s 23-year long glorious cricket career comes to end, Bhajji retires from cricket
Born: July 3, 1980 (Punjab, India)
International Debut: March 25, 1988
Retired: Dec 24, 2021
Batting: Right-hand Batsman
Bowling: Right-arm Off-Spin
Represented: Punjab, India, Surry, Kolkata Knight Riders, Chennai Super Kings, and Mumbai Indians.
Harbhajan Singh who made his debut for India during a Test against Australia in 1998 and his last international appearance came in 2016 in a T20 international game, today has finally announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. One of the greatest spinners to have ever played the game for India.
“All good things come to an end and today as I bid adieu to the game that has given me everything in life, I would like to thank everyone who made this 23-year-long journey beautiful and memorable,” Harbhajan tweeted.
Harbhajan took 417 wickets in 103 Tests, 269 wickets in 236 ODIs, and 25 wickets in 28 T20Is in his career. He is the first Indian to take a Test hat-trick. Harbhajan Singh was also part of Team India’s historic World Cup-winning squad in 2011 and 2007.
One of the most unforgettable moments in his career was when he took 32 wickets in three Tests, including the first Test Hat- trick by an Indian, against Australia in March 2001. He took 417 wickets in 103 Tests, which is currently the fourth most number of wickets by an Indian bowler in Test Cricket.
List of Records Held by Harbhajan Singh
|Format||Matches||Innings||Not Outs||Runs||Highest Score||Average||100s||50s|
- Harbhajan Singh was also part of Team India’s historic World Cup-winning squad in 2011.
- He has scored 1237 runs and taken 269 wickets which puts him on the list of top all-rounders for Team India.
- Most 5 wickets haul in ODI for India (3 times)
- Harbhajan Singh is India’s 2nd bowler who bowled the most number of bowls in Test cricket (12,479 balls).
- First Indian to take Hat-Trick in a Test match
- Harbhajan Singh is the First Indian off-spinner to take 400 Test wickets.
● Youngest Indian to Pick 400 Wickets in Tests.
● Second-best Match Haul by an Indian in Test Cricket (Harbhajan Singh took 7/133 and 8/84 in the deciding Test against Australia at Chennai in 2001). His match haul of 15-217 is the second-best by an Indian in Test cricket.
● Most Wickets by a Spinner in a 3-Test Series (picked up 32 wickets in the 2000-01 series against Australia)
- 2nd highest Indian wicket-taker in IPL.
● Mumbai Indians’ Most-Capped Cricketer (158 matches for Mumbai Indians)
- 127 wickets for Mumbai Indian which puts him in the list of top wicket-taker for Mumbai Indians.
- First Indian bowler to bowl 5 maiden overs in T20I.
We salute the Turbanator, thank him for the entertainment that he gave us, and wish him, as always, the very best for his life ahead.